It’s not news but it is still news.
Hello all you entertainment buffs out there. Here’s something amazing for you. Most people about this time have heard of a platform called XBMC or Kodi. Now, here’s the catch: if you want entertainment, mostly without costing you a dime and you have internet, you are on! Kodi for Android offers you a platform to explore the vast library of media such as videos, movies, applications etc. The fact that the accessibility to any media content is free of cost and its extent is limitless makes Kodi one of the most useful applications of modern times. With Kodi within your reach, you’ll virtually be having your own media center/hub with unlimited control over anything that can be available via Internet. Before moving on, the good news is that it is available as Kodi for PC, Kodi for Android and even for Linux and Raspberry Pi platforms.
Recommended: Best VPN for Kodi
What is Kodi? Why use Kodi? Advantages of Kodi for Android
The software, Kodi, was initially developed as an independent media center application and was called Xbox Media Center (XBMC). The target was to equip the Xbox gaming console. However, it evolved for platforms like Android, Linux, iOS, and Windows and has gained tremendous popularity since. Kodi essentially is an open source, highly customizable media platform that provides a tool to explore almost any form of digital media available online. It allows the users to play live streams, videos, movies, sports, music, podcasts and much more. All you need is to set it up according to your requirements and everything is yours. XBMC since its origination has become either complete or a part of the framework for most home entertainment devices like smart TVs, media players, STBs and many ARM based platforms. XBMC foundation announced XBMC to be officially named as Kodi from its 14th version. The success of this software knows no bounds as it serves almost everything in terms of entertainment.
It supports a lot of plug-ins and formats and is highly customizable in terms of appearance and set-up. In very simple terms, it’s just a portal providing access to the media section of the Internet which is not easily possible through other advanced and sophisticated tools. We understand that nothing today is beyond reach, more so if one knows a thing or two about hacking or is a tech geek, but trust me, this one really steals the show with its simplicity and everything it has to offer. Its build allows for third party integration, multi-platform support and high quality service and that my friends is just not to boast – it’s true!
Must Download : Tinder for PC (Windows 7/8/10)
Kodi for Android – Features & Full Specs
Talking about features of an open source software is a vague statement since it is open to endless tweaks and customization. But we will try to sum up as much as possible for you. It’s clear that it is an entertainment platform and serves an ocean of videos and live streams on a platter for its user. Not only that, there are options for selecting the quality of video you want to stream as well as other things including audio settings, video calibration and subtitles (Subtitles require additional services/sources whereas audio and video settings are a part of Kodi’s own media player).
- Add-ons: Everything on Kodi works through a collection of files called Add-ons. An add-on is like a shelf of digital media, each add-on pertaining to its own content type and category. For example, there can be an add-on for HD movies and there can be a different add-on for accessing YouTube. There are thousands of add-ons available and even more are added everyday (since Kodi is an open source project) each of its own type. Add-ons can be for videos, programs, movies and even live TV. There are many add-ons available for anything you want. The user selects the add-on as per requirement and once installed on Kodi, it’s ready to be explored and use. Plenty of add-ons are available for every category of entertainment, everything depends on the user and his interests. There are some popular add-ons which have caught the eye due to their high quality service and media content. As mentioned above about the subtitles, you can install some popular Subtitles service add-ons and use them while any video playback to get the corresponding subtitles.
- Repositories: Repositories are a collection of add-ons. A typical repository has categories like Context Menus, Look and Feel, Lyrics,Music add-ons, Program add-ons, Video add-ons, weather, etc. Different developers either create add-ons and provide them as a part of a repository or create their own set of add-ons as a repository.
- Live TV/PVR: Kodi introduced the feature of Live TV from its version 12.0 with EPG and DVR technologies featuring a PVR frontend. Either you can download and stream with easily available EPG playlists as in media players like VLC and MX Player for Android by setting up a simple PVR add-on client for IPTV in Kodi or some developers have ready to use add-ons for Live TV shows and streaming movies.
- Appearance Customization: With such a wide variety of sources to work with, Kodi also facilitates with different options to customize its user interface to provide an amazing experience. With different options ranging from changing skins to setting up different layouts for the home menu, Kodi for Android is your own entertainment launcher. Different options include Skin Settings, Font, GUI Sounds and RSS feeds. There are also skin specific settings for different skins to add to features like screensaver, language, time-date, weather and file listing. There’s so much to explore!
- Settings: Other than the appearance settings, there are options made available from controlling add-ons configurations to setting up general settings for Pictures, Video, weather and other services. This allows to share/sync Kodi libraries via UPnP or DLNA along with accessibility over network through remote controlling via web server or AirPlay. Also, there are system settings that allow features like video calibration, audio device configurations, input peripherals control and power saving.
Don’t miss : Siri for Android
The above features are just some of the general characteristics of this software platform that everyone will encounter and might not do complete justice with the endless options and tools available to customize any open source product, let alone Kodi for Android. Our focus here is to resolve any queries related to getting Kodi app for Android, however, it’s essential to brush through its features as they are the same for all the platforms.
Kodi is not just any software and you must have realized it by now. Its open end, both in terms of functionality and resources. All you need is the right direction to set up this beast as you want. The most recent version of Kodi is named Jarvis (Kodi 16.0) following up from the exemplary services of its previous versions like Isengard (15.0) and Helix (14.0). The initial interface comes with a ‘Confluence’ skin with a smooth structured home screen featuring sections for Pictures, Videos, Music, Programs and System. This is just the beginning to an ultimate entertainment experience.
How to install and set-up Kodi for Android?
As mentioned previously, Kodi is available for different platforms and Android is certainly one of them. Kodi app is very easy to obtain for Android, you can either visit the Kodi website downloads section here or download it via Google Play Store through your device. The website allows for a direct Google Play link or an apk file download option. Here are the steps to install Kodi on Android:
- Ensure your Android device has at least 2 GB RAM for the latest release of Kodi to work smoothly. Also check for sufficient storage.
- Visit the Kodi website:https://kodi.tv/ and click on ‘Downloads’.
- Select the Android option where you may choose to download through a Google Play Store link or an apk install.
- Alternatively, go to Google Play Store and search forKodi.
- Once downloaded, the installation should begin itself, if through a Google Play link, or by double clicking the apk file.
- Wait for the installation to finish. Once done, you are ready to dive in!
The installation is just the tip of the iceberg; if you want to run Kodi, you need to install its add-ons as per your requirements. Add-ons can be for HD movies, TV shows, Sports, Music videos, Weather services and even subtitles. Many such add-ons have been made available. The most general add-ons can be obtained from Kodi website itself in the add-ons section by visiting here. Generally, you download the .zip file and the contents can be browsed through the Add-ons section in Settings of Kodi app. Alternatively, you can add the file network location/source as a URL by adding source in File manager in Settings. Once done, you can launch the add-on and experience whatever it has to offer.
With all that Kodi for Android has to offer, it is important to know that not all links provided would work and they are subject to quality of internet connection, being geo-blocked or dead. However, the developers try hard to provide as good a service as possible but we can’t expect everything to be gold at no cost! Having said that, there’s a whole world of entertainment media waiting for you and the door to that is Kodi. You just need the right add-ons, right updates and right settings. Trust me, it’s a personal experience through which I can affirm it to be a must have for entertainment lovers – and who isn’t an entertainment lover! So, go get Kodi or XMBC for Android. The best things in life are indeed free! Cheers!
Must visit : TubeMate for PC (Windows 10/8/7/XP) or Mac